The Fire Department is responsible for:
- Fire suppression
- Fire prevention
- Fire investigation
- Emergency medical services
- Fire hydrant flow testing and winter checks
- Building maintenance and inspections
- Fire apparatus maintenance
- Emergency management.
The Village of Lexington Fire Department inspects all business, commercial, industrial and apartment buildings. All new commercial buildings are inspected for compliance with the Fire Prevention Code.
The mission of the Village of Lexington Fire Department is to protect the lives and property of residents and visitors through:
- Public education in fire safety and hazard recognition
- Aggressive fire suppression
- Effective training to ensure safety and survival
- A safe and healthy work environment
- Professional emergency treatment and care of the sick and injured
- Efficient pre-incident planning and emergency management
- Hazardous materials control and mitigation
Visit the Village of Lexington Fire Department Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100064329473770
TORNADO WARNING SIGNALS- In the spring, we experience a county-wide tornado drill. Many people cannot remember which siren represents the “warning” and “all clear”. A tornado WATCH: Means conditions are favorable for a tornado. No siren is sounded.
1ST Siren – WARNING: One long whistle (3 minutes). Means that a tornado has been spotted – TAKE COVER.
2ND Siren – ALL CLEAR: A normal whistle (wavering) lasting one minute.
New to town? Hearing the fire whistle might not be something you are accustomed to hearing, the list below may be helpful.
The whistle will blow at 12PM and 6PM one time.
If the fireman are dispatched to a call you will often hear the whistle blow 3 times in a row.
As stated above, in inclement weather the 3minute long whistle means to take cover. The second whistle lasting 1 minute means all clear.